Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hot Celery Mess

Summer is here, and the temps have been in the upper 80's here in Pittsburgh. So I really wanted to make a cool, refreshing Retro WW feast to accompany the season.

As I flipped through my 1974 Weight Watchers Recipe Cards, I was drawn to a very unusual salad. It was a salad unlike any other I have ever seen in my life. And believe me, I have seen a lot of salads. Just the name itself was intriguing to me: Chilled Celery Log.

Oh Yea, you know I couldn't resist this one.

It starts with 10 oz cooked and mashed cauliflower, mixed with a diced green pepper, chopped pimento, parsley, and spices. This mixture alone was yummy enough to eat.


But wait! There's more! Next, you take a bunch of celery, separate the stalks, and simmer them in chicken bouillon for 10 minutes. Drain. (NOTE: Your house will smell like boiled celery for 3 days.)

Next comes the fun part, and it's going to get messy. You're going to stuff those hot, slippery celery stalks with the cauliflower mixture then arrange them back together in the form of the original bunch formation. Tie it all up with string (I used dental floss) and chill for 45 minutes.


To serve, slice into 1-inch pieces. Makes 6 servings.


The Chilled Celery Log salad would be ideal for a causal poolside bash or a fancy ladies brunch or even an uptight office party. The possibilities are endless. Just strap it all together and you're good to go. In fact, you may want to bring an extra log, just in case things get crazy...

12 comments:

Bring Pretty Back said...

Strap it all together! I almost hurt myself I laughed so hard!

Bring Pretty Back said...

Strap it all together! I almost hurt myself I laughed so hard!

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

LOL that is just crazy!

Vintage Christine said...

Eating cooked celery is like eating cardboard, only the cardboard tastes better. I'd stay with the mixture and scoop it up with raw celery, thank you very much. God, the things we eat trying to get skinny!

Vonlipi said...

They sure liked extra work in those days. You make me laugh and we all need laughter every day.You have a lot of gumption to try all those things.

Helen said...

I could TOTALLY eat that - if I could have some cream cheese smeared on it ;-)

Lidian said...

Oh dear. Not a big celery fan anyway. But this is reaffirming that position to me. I like the dental floss, though ;)

Unknown said...

HAHA! Omg...you always make me LOL!

Maybe you could work with Febreeze to create a new air freshener- Spring Fresh Simmered Celery hummm? lol


It's not a party till the celery log is there! :)

Linda said...

This one actually looks like it would be good. I'm a cauliflower lover so that's what got me on this one! Don't know if I'd soften the celery just to chill it and make it stiff again!

Java said...

Hi!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!! If you want to join the Over 40 Bloggers List a little early, just let me know!!

I am now following you! LOVE your blog!

Bring Pretty Back said...

Just read your comment on my blog, Thank you for encouragenent! This post still CRACKS ME UP!
Kristin

Ally said...

okay this is actually kinda cool! it's really pretty too, right?