Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Don't Mess With a Classic

Guess what sassy casserole I made today? I'll give you a hint. Here are the ingredients, straight outta the pantry...


I've always been a fan of the Tuna Noodle Casserole. I mean, what's not to like? It's an American icon, for Pete's sake. It's creamy, comforting, and easy on the wallet. What's more, it can be prepared in one dish - without using a single fresh ingredient. Now that's what I call convenience.

The 1972 Retro WW version of this recipe was easy to make, and sounded pretty tasty. However, it seemed to be lacking some critical components. Take a look:

6 oz. canned tuna
2/3 cup cooked macaroni
4 oz. peas
1/2 cup canned mushrooms
salt
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
1/2 tsp Worcestershire
dash paprika

What?!? No Cream of Mushroom soup?! No crunchy potato chip topping? No gooey cheese or French fried onions? It almost seemed pointless, but with a heavy sigh, I layered the boring ingredients in my "attractive casserole" (as instructed) and baked until "piping hot & brown" (also as instructed).


Um. I hate to complain, but it's a tad bit dry. And bland doesn't even begin to describe it. This recipe makes one giant serving--so at least I don't have to share it.

Unfortunately, this also means I am expected to eat the entire thing. Maybe my cat is hungry? Here kitty, kitty....

1 comment:

Bring Pretty Back said...

There is not one single post of yours I do not CRACK UP when I read it! Theres a reason theres cream of mushroom soup and cheese in the original tuna caserole! heheheheeheheh!
Thanks for your comment on my blog this morning. It was great!
Kristin