Monday, April 26, 2010

The Salad That Almost Did Me In

I realize that I have a tendency to gross some people out with my new-found eating habits. Maybe I have even lost a few readers who are just disgusted by me and/or don't have very strong stomachs. So I applaud those of you who have stuck with me through it all. I know it hasn't been easy.

But let me tell you something: you ain't seen nothin' yet.

I stumbled upon this next recipe in a hidden chapter of the 1972 Revised WW Program Cookbook entitled "Unusual Fruit Salads". Up until now, I had never seen this creepy little chapter. It was like it had somehow remained hidden from me behind a beaded curtain; like a strange back room filled with forbidden freaky recipes that time had forgotten. But I couldn't resist. I had to go in.

The recipe has no name. It has no list of ingredients. It is merely a 2-sentence blurb describing how to prepare it. I read this blurb and re-read it at least 10 times, just to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding it. So here it is:
For an unusual first course, slice a peeled, ripe banana over shredded lettuce on a chilled salad plate. Sprinkle lightly with lemon juice and cover with 1/4 cup Cocktail Sauce for Seafood.

Are you confused? Because I was confused. Even my fish mold was confused.

To answer your questions:
  1. Yes. I ate it.
  2. Yes. I was alone.
  3. Yes. I am ashamed
  4. No. It wasn't that bad.
  5. No. I will never eat it again.
Hey, don't knock it 'til you try it! What's the strangest thing you have ever put on a salad?

12 comments:

Helen said...

I'm speechless. Don't mess with my salad!

Linda said...

Ah! The old school way of losing weight! Very successful too! The recipes were so gross you instinctively ate less!
Way to be a brave soldier and fight on through all this! I love it!

Unknown said...

oh my! lol What a combo huh?

Chantel said...

Alright, I'm still with you--although there was some milk-shaky thing a ways back that had me a tad freaked...

That salad...um. Is there more to say? I'm glad you were alone. You, my dear, get some kind of award for "braver than I!"

Leanne @ The Skinny Architect said...

You did not eat that! Wow, I am seriously impressed! Maybe if you made it for me I would try a bite, but I don't know that I would ever make it for myself. :-)

pika23 said...

Hmm...sounds like one of those odd flavor combos that just might work!

I am also one who loves ketchup on their pancakes AND syrup. Something with the sweet/salty.

Ketchup and chocolate chip cookies too.

Lidian said...

You just know that when a WW cookbook calls something "unusual" that it is going to be really, really scary...How brave you are! I am impressed. And I love your blog and your writing so much.

But I will skip the banana and cocktail sauce, I think.

Vonlipi said...

That is a weird recipe! I might,ve tried it, I don't know. At least there are no anchovies to be seen...

Becca said...

I cannot believe you were able to eat this!! Gah! I saw the picture and had to lean closer to the screen when I thought... is that banana... on lettuce... what's ontop....

Blllleeeh. I don't think I could have chewed even one bite of this.
I love the picture though, heh.

Brightcetera said...

LMAO! You are a braver woman than I.

The concept of this blog and your experiment is serious FUN.

Ann said...

I think I now know how we lost weight on WW back in the old days. We were sick to our stomachs from the recipes and didn't have time or opportunity to digest any of them. I know I must have eaten some of these tidbits but I don't actually remember doing so. It's probably traumatic amnesia. At least now I can laugh when I read your stories, without flashbacks and the aid of food therapy!

Fizz said...

Oh boy... I'm glad that I was born in '72 and didn't have to eat that crap... I mean, Cocktail sauce and a banana? Seriously?

I'd lose weight because I wouldn't eat it!