This week, a friend from my meeting brought in some of her mom's old WW program material from 1971, including a recipe book entitled "The Art of Good Cooking". Back then, this booklet was given to members on their 5th week of attendance and is chock full of "legal" recipes to help members enjoy a greater variety of foods on program.
Since I was looking for a quick & easy dinner tonight, I checked out the chapter entitled "Meat, Fish & Poultry". There were so many options. So many delightful legal recipes to choose from in this chapter: Would it be the provocative Veal Balls & Cabbage? Or perhaps the mysterious Bev's Hot Livers (seriously, can someone tell me who is Bev)?? Or the intriguing Fish Supreme which proudly features MSG as one of its main ingredients? Nope. Tonight, I decided to go with the delicious dinner casserole known as...
- 1 Tbsp. dehydrated onion flakes (of course)
- 3 oz. canned mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1" strips
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Dash each: garlic powder, celery salt, parsley flakes, thyme
- salt & pepper
- 8 oz. hot dogs - cut into 1" chunks and broiled
- 4 oz. canned peas & carrots
Seriously. It's a lot of food, people. Don't question it. Just enjoy.