Saturday, April 10, 2010

Friendly Aspic

"Well, if it doesn't jell, it isn't aspic, and this ain't jellin'!" --Milton Arbogast (Psycho)

Last night, I was in the mood for something different. And friendly.

Having never prepared aspic before, I was slightly hesitant to try this recipe, but the more I considered it, the more perfect it seemed. Refreshing, savory, simple, friendly...how could it be anything less than wonderful?

Before I started cooking, I made the mistake of Googling the word aspic. I wish I hadn't, because this is what I saw. Have you returned? Are you OK??

I had to shake off that horrific image quickly or I would never be able to continue. I began assembling the ingredients:
  • 1tablespoon unflavored gelatine
  • 2 cups tomato juice
  • 1/4 tsp lemon-pepper
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard
  • 2 tbsp cider vinegar
After the gelatine was dissolved in the tomato juice and all other ingredients had been combined, I poured the mixture into a small baking pan and placed it in the refrigerator. I then went about my business for the next two hours--the exact amount of time needed for the aspic to set.

After I finished apron shopping, hemming my bell-bottoms and replacing the ribbon in my typewriter--it was finally time to cut into the Friendly Aspic! I rushed to the fridge---past my horrified husband (whom I ignored as he asked me why I was storing congealed blood in the refrigerator)---opened the door and excitedly grabbed the aspic and a sharp knife.
Let me tell you something, people: This aspic is NOT friendly. It is not even amicable or congenial. It is in fact putrid. I was not ready for this jelly. I don't think I will ever be.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer my tomato juice in liquid form. What's your take on aspic?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mimi! I like you're on experiment all the time! Could i ask you something? Can you give us a weekly WW diet program from this old cookbook? I'd like to see daily menus, to take some examples to give it a try for myself! :)

Mimi said...

That would be groovy! Thanks for the idea. I will post an official retro WW weekly menu soon...

Morgan said...

I want to know what is the point of an aspic? Is it that the jelly will fill you up without you actually consuming many calories? I just can't imagine WHY anyone would want to invent/make/eat/feed this to a human being (or animal for that matter.)

Unknown said...

You are BRAVE! lol I will stick to my tomato juice in JUICE form, with a squeeze of fresh lemon. thankyouverymuch! lol

heidi said...

mmmmmmm. i knew this. i tried this. i had to swallow my back down when i slid it down the drain. ewwww. we are brave.

Ellen said...

Aspic - yuk! But your blog - terrific! The apron shopping and the typewriter ribbon... too funny!

Lidian said...

I am scared of aspic, I think.

Ally said...

I don't think I'd enjoy this :(

Visit me at FourthGradeNothing.com

Bill said...

I rushed over as fast as I could from Kitchen Retro.

Well. Um. I say you get a gold star for a valiant attempt to make this look as appealing as possible.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. There's probably a recipe for making aspic out of a sow's ear, however.