Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's Retro Snacktime! - The Not-So-Danish "Pastry"



Welcome new followers of the Retro WW Experiment! I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to visit my groovy (yet somewhat horrifying) little blog.

Now then. Can we talk? I enjoy a tasty snack just as much as the next gal. Which is why I HAD to try this cute little sweetie.

I must preface by saying: There continues to be a legion of Retro WW enthusiasts who still rave about this snack. I still hear ladies whispering about it in meeting rooms across the land. They talk about it as if it were the best thing they ever ate in their life.

Any snack that can stand the test of time like this one must be good, right?

OK. So here's all you do...

Take 1/4 cup of cottage cheese. (This is almost half of your cheese allotment for the day, so choose wisely!) Now mix it with a teaspoon of artificial sweetener, a pinch of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Now "spread" this mixture on your slice of bread. (You only get 2 slices of bread for the entire day, so you better savor the crap out of this). I used an Arnold's Sandwich Thin, because that's all I had on hand. (please don't judge me, Jean)



Here's the great part, folks: Since spreadable cheeses were "illegal" on the original WW plan, you could really feel like you were "cheating" by doing this. Don't you feel NAUGHTY?

Now that you have your Not-So-Danish "Pastry" all prepped and ready to go, all you need to do next is put it under the broiler until bubbly & hot. Yum?


I made 2 servings. One for me and one for my hubby. I have to admit I thought it was mighty tasty. The hubby--not so much.

My final review: Once you get past the idea that you are indeed eating hot cottage cheese (Ew.) I think you will enjoy it too. Why not whip up a batch for your next Tupperware Party?

2 comments:

pika23 said...

How about pineapple cottage cheese or peach next time. I am gonna try that tomorrow morning and let ya know how it is

Angie said...

My mom made me this all of the time for breakfast growing up & now I serve it to my daughter. I had no idea it was a WW recipe! One of my all time favorites~~