Monday, April 4, 2011

The Vlog: Getting Jiggly With It

It all started with a dream and a $2.99 copper gelatin mold.

Never before had I attempted such a daring Retro WW Experiment, and if I was gonna go for it--I was gonna get it on video.

A double decker mold is not just a recipe. It is an art project. And it takes multiple stages, impeccable timing and several long hours in order to get it just right. Please allow me to break it down for you...

Stage One: The Lemon Layer


This layer required one envelope of Knox dissolved in water and some lemon juice, salt, sugar and yellow food coloring. Pour into mold. Chill until set. This was the easy part.

Stage Two: The Tuna & Veggie Layer


This layer required three envelopes of Knox dissolved in water and some vinegar, salt and lemon juice. Then we chill in a bowl until partially set. But WAIT! There's more! It is crucial that you catch the gelatin at just the right consistency so you can drop in some peas, sliced cucumbers, diced celery, and tuna. If you place them in at exactly the right time--they will float in a kind of gelatinized suspended animation. If you do it too early, though--they'll sink. Timing is everything.

Stage Three: The Final Chill


Pour the tuna & salad mixture over the lemon layer and chill until completely firm. The entire process from start to finish should take about 7-8 hours. I am not even freaking kidding you.

Stage Four: The Unmolding

This is my favorite part. Seriously. I get so excited I have to catch my breath every time. The best way to unmold a huge sucker like this is to soak the mold in luke-warm water for about a minute to loosen it up. Then you can turn it over onto a plate and dig in. As you can see from the video...mine slid right out without a problem. If you listen very closely, you can even hear the sucking sound it makes when the gelatin breaks the vaccuum and pops free from the mold. What a glorious moment. Success!



So there you have it... Two layers, 12 servings, and a LOT of leftovers. Another Retro WW Challenge conquered!

What is it about the gelatin mold that fascinates me so? I don't know. But, the art of molding is truly a hobby of mine. What's your food passion?

9 comments:

Helen said...

"It's jiggling." LMBO! He sounds so thrilled.

How did it taste because even though the mold itself is beautiful, it really does look disgusting!

Ashley said...

I'm pretty much speechless right now lol. Wow!!

I'm passionate about cake decorating. I just love it so, so much.

Georgia said...

Sensational!! What was the flavor verdict?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mimi, Oh how FUN!!!! Way to go on getting the gelatin to be PICTURE perfect! You husband sounds less than enthused about having it for dinner, which is hilarious. Thanks as always for your fun blog. Have a great week.

Amy Anderson said...

That is so, so gross. And fascinating.

Ann said...

How did it taste? Have to admit, it would be a hard sell for me to try... without a few screwdrivers under my belt to build up some courage. Love the video! Pity the husband! lol

Flo said...

I am officially impressed! Unmolding that jello was awesome. I want to know how it tasted too!

Jana said...

Beautiful! So shiny, so nice. Still an abomination.

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the double-decker mold? I need one for #99 Chicken Breasts in Aspic.