Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I'm Sorry, French Fry

If you know me, or have spent any length of time in my presence--then it is almost a certainty that you know one very important fact about me: I love French Fries.

I could eat them every day and at every meal. They are, in my opinion, the perfect food.

So today, when I was perusing my brand new stack of 1970 Vintage WW Magazines (thank you eBay) - and I came across The Second Annual Gourmet Contest: 51 Prize-Winning Recipes, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this:

Second Prize Winner: "French Fries"
Submitted by: Mrs. Gerald Abramowitz of Brooklyn, NY

Holy fried potato! Could this really be true?

Then I read the recipe:

8 oz. Italian Green Beans
1/2 tsp salt

Place beans on cookie sheet . Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes until brown and crisp.

You've got to be freaking kidding me, Mrs. Gerald Abramowitz. Seriously?? Do you really expect me to fall for these shenanigans?

Despite my displeasure and irritation, I decided I needed to try these so-called "French Fries" for myself. Second prize winner my arse, Mrs. Gerald Abramowitz.

So I laid out my green beans, salted them generously and waited patiently for them to get nice and crispy in the oven.


When I brought them out of the oven, I took one look at the pitiful little dried up beans and almost threw them in the trash out of sheer disgust. How could you do this to my beloved French Fry, Mrs. Gerald Abramowitz? HOW?


But...I took a little taste...


Oh. My. GAWD.

I'm not going to say it tasted like a French Fry. I'm not going to say it was even close. But, Damn. Mrs. Gerald Abramowitz--wherever you are: You deserved that Second Prize.

10 comments:

dinat102 said...

Interesting! Did you use fresh, canned or frozen beans?

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

so.....they were edible?

Leanne @ The Skinny Architect said...

French fries are the best food in the world. If I didn't think so I wouldn't need Weight Watchers.

MoonDoggie said...

ha ha

I'm a french fry lover too.
I may just have to try this.

Μάρσι said...

Mimi try this food with fresh green beans not frozen not canned!

Roz @ weightingfor50 said...

Mrs. Gerald Abramowitz was on to something!!! (wouldn't it be great if you could track her down?!) Have a great weekend Mimi!!!

Isabel said...

Hi - I made them! They were fine, tasty. Lol having seen the recipes you've made I NEVER expected to be saying either of those things. I wonder what won first prize.... I'm guessing the winner had dried onion flakes, gelatine, celery, cottage cheese...

50sme said...

These recipes are nothing if not interesting! I love it. These recipes so remind me of growing up in the 70's looking through the "Bucket-O-Recipes" that sat in our kitchen. You know, the avocado green flip top recipe holder with nineteen-thousand-and-twelve cards you shuffled through while you talked on the phone? The cards with the torn through connector holes that ended up in the junk drawer, the phone book, moms sewing basket, etc.? I think your idea is great way to incorporate fun into an otherwise everyday, blah weight loss plan. Neat!

Sparkina said...

This dish looks and sounds like they'd be plenty of tasty. Kind of a more figure-friendly take on the fried-green-bean appetizer on the menu at TGI Fridays

Sparkina said...

Well, I tried the dish (I used the long thin green beans as I couldn't find the flat ones) and it was DELECTABLE. I don't think of them as substitute French fries. I think of them just as toasted green beans which are KILLER tasty