Thursday, April 21, 2011

Catsup Revisited

There is one statement that you can guarantee has been muttered by every single Retro WW alum from the early 1970's:

"We made our own catsup!"

This is also the aspect of the Retro WW Program that is most intriguing to the modern day Weight Watcher. In fact--this aspect of the Retro WW experience is so crucial that it was actually the very first recipe I ever attempted on this blogging experiment. Yep. I made my own catsup. You can read about it here.

You would not believe how many requests I get for this recipe. I didn't include it in my original "catsup post", because I never thought anyone would want it. Plus--no one was really reading this blog back then, except my mom--and she already had the recipe.

Anyway. I have no idea why anyone would ever want this recipe. I doubt Jean Nidetch even still uses it. But for what it's worth--here it is. Ladies and gentlemen. I give you...

Catsup

46 oz. tomato juice
2 cups sliced celery
1 tsp each: allspice, mace, celery seed
8 cloves
8 peppercorns
1-inch stick cinnamon
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup cider vinegar
dash cayenne pepper
salt
artificial sweetener equal to 2 tbsp sugar

Boil first 9 ingredients in wide saucepan until reduced by half. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. Put sauce through strainer and press out juice from celery then put sauce back in skillet. Add remaining ingredients except sweetener. Bring to boil and cook 10 minutes longer at fast-simmer temperature stirring constantly. Stir in sweetener. Store in fridge and use as needed. Will keep for weeks.

So there you have it Retro WW fans! The most Retro Weight Watcheriest recipe in all the land! Run and tell your friends where they can find it. But be sure to give Ms. Jean Nidetch credit. And if you decide to whip up a batch, make sure to share it with your favorite WW buddy!

3 comments:

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

lol I am trying this on general principle.

Μάρσι said...

Thank you so much Mimi!

Anonymous said...

Lost the original WW recipe book after a major international move. Cursed myself for years. Thank you for publishing the recipe. I'll make it this weekend.