Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tuna Redemption

Upon reading the comments on my last post, I felt obliged to respond to the big question on everyone's mind:

How did the double-decker Lemon & Tuna Mold taste?

Well. How do I put this? To be quite honest. It was dreadful. One bite was all my gag reflex could handle, and then I threw it in the trash. Of course, I kept it around for a few hours before pitching it - just to stand in awe of its beauty. Then it had to go. It was garbage night, and I didn't want that thing lingering around the house for an entire week.

To make up for the Tuna Mold atrocity, I decided to try a more palatable dish this week. I also decided it had to be a tuna recipe, because I wanted to get right with my Retro WW karma.

I found this little lovely in my November 1972 Weight Watchers magazine, and it actually wasn't half bad!

Tangy Tuna Fish


1 Tbsp dehydrated onion flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup cottage cheese
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 medium cucumber, diced
6 ounces flaked tuna fish

Combine first 5 ingredients in blender and whiz smooth. (Warning: DO NOT make the mistake of smelling this mixture. It will scare the bejesus out of your senses). Combine cucumber and tuna in a bowl then add cottage cheese mixture.



I served it up with some sliced veggies, and had myself a lovely Retro WW legal lunch.

It was quick, tasty and easy. And best of all: No need for a fancy copper mold. Lesson Learned.

4 comments:

Caron said...

Goodness! It's kind of amazing that WW made it with recipes like that tuna lemon mold. How funny. :)

Anonymous said...

THAT is a better SOUNDING recipe!! No no jiggles thank Goodness!!! Haved a great week Mimi.

Snappy said...

Oh dear. That top picture looks like something my poor kitty Allison barfs up after breakfast. I can't get past it. Eep!

Leanne @ The Skinny Architect said...

It actually *gulp* looks edible. I am surprised the recipe didn't call for Knox gelatin just for good measure.