Monday, April 18, 2011

A Latke Luncheon

In my family, we call them "potato pancakes", and we eat them by the pound - smothered in gobs of salty cottage cheese. I can still remember my grandmother making them for us on Fridays during lent. She grated those potatoes until her knuckles bled.

In other families--they are known as latkes. A traditional Jewish delicacy topped with applesauce or sour cream.

Whoever you are or however you prepare them--you will agree that they are a yummy treat. But not so easy on the waistline.

So when I saw the Retro WW version of "Potato" Latkes in the January 1971 issue of WW Magazine -- I had to give it a whirl.

Those pesky quotation marks alerted me right off the bat--I was not getting my grandmothers potato pancakes. No ma'am. Instead--I was getting something entirely different...


10 ounces of cooked cauliflower pureed with 1/3 cup cottage cheese, a slice of bread, 1 tbsp of dehydrated onion flakes and some salt and pepper. The mixture is then spooned into 6 patties on a cookie sheet and baked at 350 for 25 minutes or until crisp on top.


I have to admit--I was pleasantly surprised. Especially when I learned that I could eat all 6 latkes for one serving! Very satisfying and very delicious.

How did they compare to my grandmother's potato pancakes? Come on. Do you really have to ask?

8 comments:

Leanne @ The Skinny Architect said...

I would eat them if you made them :-).

Helen said...

I bet those tasted ok - just not like a potato pancake!

Μάρσι said...

Oh my... it seems delicious! I'll try it soon!

Dennis said...

Hi Mimi, Know what? I'd absolutely give these a try. They look good to me! Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Mimi, my husband was logged on to google. The comment above isn't from "Dennis" but from "Roz @ weightingfor50" All the best.

Kathleen Richardson said...

Any need to spray the cookie sheet with oil?

Kathleen

http://corningnystepbystep.blogspot.com

Mimi said...

Yes! spray with Pam! The lift off will be much easier ;-)

C.Mahan said...

I am going to try these. I have a WW recipes that mashed cauliflour in place of masted potatoes. I thought it turned out yummy.