Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Incredible Edible Guest Post #4

Today's Retro WW Guest Post Challenge submission is from an amazing lady named Lynn in South Carolina, USA. Wait until you hear how much weight she has lost! She is quite a WW success story. She can do anything! She can even make a 1972 Retro WW Recipe look delicious. Please enjoy Lynn's Chicken Cacciatore:

I am so happy to get to be a part of Mimi’s Retro WW Experiment. I was not a member of Weight Watchers in 1972 but by 1978, I had joined for my first time, lost 35 lbs and dropped out without reaching my goal weight. I have rejoined, lost and dropped out numerous times without ever reaching my goal and every time gaining back all of the weight I had lost plus more. The last time I rejoined I had ballooned to 376 lbs. I vowed I would stick to the program until one of two things happened; either I died or I reached my goal weight. I reached my goal weight in June having lost 196.4 lbs. I am now less than half of the woman I once was. I invite you to visit my blog where I frequently write about my journey. If you are someone struggling with your weight, please take the time to read the letter I wrote to the weight I lost (October 18, 2010). http://lynnthompsons.blogspot.com/

Oh, and in case you are interested my next goal is to become the best leader WW has ever had! Are you paying attention David Kirchoff?

I made this for dinner tonight and served it on top of a small serving of whole-wheat pasta. We also had steamed broccoli, and a small salad. I thought it was great but my husband’s reaction was less positive. It went like this, “This tastes like a similar dish you made back in the 70’s, not my favorite” You can’t help but love his enthusiasm!


Chicken Cacciatore
4 (10 oz) Skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup dehydrated onion flakes ( I used real onions)
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped pimentos
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp rosemary leaves
pinch allspice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp wine vinegar

Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper, Brown over high heat in non-stick pan, turning frequently. Transfer chicken to baking dish. Set aside. Combine tomato puree, mushrooms, onion flakes, celery, pimentos, garlic, rosemary and allspice. Cook over low heat 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and wine vinegar. Spoon over each chicken breast. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Makes 4 servings

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Thanks Lynn and Mimi!!!

SusieQT said...

OMG- new follower here. I remember my mom making this! She was on WW since the mid-70s and finally reached her goal last year. If I recall, it really doesn't taste bad at all.