Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tuna Treat?

With tomatoes literally popping off the vine from my vegetable garden, I simply had to find a tuna recipe that would also incorporate my bumper crop.

This was no easy task.

When it comes to 1972 WW recipes, there is no such thing as "googling". One must sit down with a stack of cookbooks and magazines then proceed to go through them, page by page until the desired recipe is found.

Everything took longer in 1972. Sigh.

But after 23 minutes of searching, I found the perfect dish!

TUNA TREAT


With a curved knife,scoop out the center of a medium tomato. Sprinkle the inside of the tomato with onion salt. Finely chop the tomato guts. Spoon into a bowl and add 4 oz. canned tuna, 1 tablespoon capers, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and 1/2 tablespoon wine vinegar. Spoon mixture into tomato.

What a treat! Delicious and nutritious.

Oh--and for those of you who are wondering: Yes, mayonnaise is legal. No, I'm not pulling your leg. Didn't I tell you? 1 tablespoon per day of fat is not only legal on the 1972 Retro WW program. It is required. At mealtime. And it is only to be spread with a knife or spatula---NEVER with a brush. So enjoy your daily tablespoon of mayo, vegetable oil or margarine. But under no circumstances can you substitute real butter or olive oil. That would be illegal.

Now I'm off to find more tuna recipes. This could take a while.

4 comments:

Jenification said...

I am very thankful for all your hard work with this blog. At my WW meetings, I hear horror stories of making homemade ketchup that smelled up the curtains. Seeing these recipes revived helps to make me thankful of what I have now AND there are some little gems along the way!

Vonlipi said...

That I would eat! How about an opened face tuna salad sandwich with WW bread?

You could also plop the tuna salad in some nice crisp lettuce...;)

Unknown said...

Oh! I think this might be the first thing that I could possibly eat! lol :) mmm I luv mayo! No, seriously I do. :)

Helen said...

You know I actually remember seeing my mother eat this when I was growing up. It was often served as a "diet plate" in restaurants, with cottage cheese on the side I think.

Now you've got me thinking... would Olive Oil Mayonnaise be legal?