Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Almost

I enjoy a good slice of pie.

I have even been known to take a road trip in search of good pie.

So when I spotted a recipe in my 1978 WW Hot Stuff Recipe Pamphlet entitled, "Almost a Pie", I have to admit my curiosity was piqued. I also figured if it was anything like the great "Almost a Snicker" caper of June 2010, it was worth trying.

When approaching a recipe like this, it is very important to keep your expectations low. There is no reason to get excited yet. Temper yourself. And remember - no matter what happens, you still get to eat something when it is all said and done. For most Retro WW gals, this is enough of a thrill in itself.

"Almost a Pie"
4 medium eggs
2 cups skim milk
4 tablespoons diet margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 cup flour
2 slices bread, torn into small pieces
dash of salt
Artificial sweetener equal to 1/2 cup sugar
Dash of nutmeg

In a blender container, place ingredients in order given except nutmeg. Start blender, count slowly to 10. Turn off blender. Pour mixture into 9" pie dish which has been sprayed with release agent. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

[Before]


[After]

It looked almost like a quiche. It smelled almost like a souffle. It tasted almost like french toast.

But Almost a Pie? Um. I beg to differ. Let us take a moment for a quick demonstration, shall we?

Here is what an "Actual Pie" looks like:


Here is what "Almost a Pie" looks like:


You be the judge.

9 comments:

Chiara "Kika" Assi said...

Hahaha this post is awesome. And yes, the almost pie doesn't look as appetizing as a real pie. Not at all.

Unknown said...

It looks and sounds more like bread pudding.

:-) Marion

Laura Grover said...

The sad thing is that I think I've tasted this - I remember my mom making it "back in the day". *shudders*

Anonymous said...

This actually sounds good as a breakfast item with butter and maple syrup. My verification word was Gello A he he.

Enz said...

How did it taste? I agree it sounds kinda like French toast or pancakes an wouldn't be bad smothered with real butter and maple syrup....

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I'm quite certain I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!
Fresh Air Pet Stroller, Blue

Snappy said...

There's no Knox gelatine. This recipe is invalid! (yeah, I was thinking it would be like a custard but BREAD?)

Anonymous said...

I am commenting to make you understand of the fine encounter my girl enjoyed going through the blog. She mastered plenty of things, which include what it's like to possess an incredible teaching mindset to have certain people with no trouble have an understanding of specific grueling topics. You truly surpassed visitors' desires. I appreciate you for showing such precious, healthy, informative and also cool guidance on this topic to Emily.
Keen Women's Snowmass High Waterproof Winter Boot

Sparkina said...

That actually sounds tasty