Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Mother of All Retro WW Roasts

Planning a visit with mom today? Looking for a budget-friendly dish to serve her that will knock her socks off?

Mom is sure to cheer when you place this breath-taking roast on the table.

Crown Roast of Frankfurter


1 lb. of hot dogs - sliced lengthwise and broiled
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp poppy seeds
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup boiling water
pimento

Combine cabbage, vinegar and poppy seeds then heap in a mound in center of a baking dish. Lean frankfurters against cabbage to form a crown--securing with toothpicks. Pour water over cabbage and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Garnish with pimento. Makes 4 servings.

Fair warning: this is not easy as easy as it sounds. The mound of cabbage kept falling over, and the hot dogs were very slippery--so you really have to manhandle them. If you look closely, you will see puncture wounds in the hot dogs where my fingernails pierced the skin during assembly.


Oh-- And tell mom to eat fast. Those hot dogs don't stay standing like that very long. In fact, moments after taking this picture, the entire roast came crashing down into a pile of hot dogs, pimento, cabbage, and toothpicks. It wasn't pretty.

But knowing my mom, she'll still tell me I did a great job and that it was delicious. That's just how she is. Thanks Mom.

Happy Mother's Day to my 2 favorite blog followers--Barby (my Mom) and Kathy (my Aunt and Godmother)...and also to all the other moms out there! Have a FRANKTACULAR DAY!

11 comments:

Ellen said...

Frankly, it was nice to start my day out with a good laugh! Just love those hot dogs!

Happy Mother's Day!

Vonlipi said...

That is real scary! obviously in 1972 the WW Queen had no idea what crap and fat hot dogs contain!

It was real funny :)

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

What fun! And so ridiculous. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

hilarious! oh my.... :)

Brightcetera said...

Now doesn't it make you think how WW even stuck around for so long? lol
Those retro WW's sure were good sports!

Thanks for the hilarity!
Have a wonderful Mother's Day.

Lidian said...

I especially like how it looks like it is wearing a little hat!

Have a wonderful day :)

pika23 said...

"Hot Dogs!?!? you know what they're made from dontcha? Lips and butts" (the censored for network tv version)

The Great Outdoors-1988

great summertime movie!

Helen said...

So glad my daughter didn't serve me this yesterday...

Leanne @ The Skinny Architect said...

Looks like the mashed potatos from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

CageyCottage said...

I know this post is a couple of years old, but...

I just inherited a bunch of these recipe cards from my husband's grandmother, and when I was going through them and saw that I had received Crown Roast of Frankfurters, I yelped so loudly I scared my poor MIL.

Don Cuevas said...

Looks like one of my favorite school cafeteria dishes, but made with (canned) sauerkraut instead of plain cabbage, and backed up by weighty mashed potatoes. And don't forget the yellow, "ballpark" mustard!

Saludos,
Don Cuevas