Friday, May 25, 2012

The Breakfast of Champions

Most mornings, I start my day with a strong cup of coffee. But when Summer arrives, and I get a chance to take a break from the daily grind - I like to greet the morning with a refreshingly festive Bloody Mary.

Now, I know this recipe has absolutely nothing to do with alcohol or Bloody Marys or anything enjoyable whatsoever. But it's my day off, it's a holiday weekend and I took many liberties with this one. So cut me some slack.

All Hail the 1974 Weight Watchers Recipe Cards

In an attempt to make the Jellied Tomato Refresher slightly more enticing, I adapted the ingredients just a bit. First of all, I ditched the tomato juice and used a zesty Bloody Mary mix. I also left out the beef bouillon cube and just spruced it up with some jazzy spices like chili powder and paprika. Oh--and instead of dehydrated green pepper flakes, I chopped some fresh green pepper and dropped it in right at the moment of final gel.

Did I add vodka? I'll never tell.



Yes, it is chunky. Yes, it tastes like a glass of curdled, cold tomato soup. No, there is absolutely no way to look classy while consuming this. Let's face it - it is basically a big ol' Bloody Mary jell-o shot.

But off I go, Jellied Tomato Refresher in hand, to be fabulous in my lounge chair.

Jealous?

2 comments:

Sara said...

I hope to God you did add vodka - otherwise I have no idea how you managed to ingest this - well, what is it really?

yinzerella said...

That is one of my favorite photos from the set.