Saturday, April 7, 2012

Chocolate Shmocolate

Young children who followed the Retro Weight Watchers program back in 1972 must have really hated Easter. After all, candy was on the list of "illegal" foods - so no chocolate bunnies, no peeps, no jelly beans and no creme eggs could be found in their Easter baskets. How sad. I wonder what the Easter Bunny brought for the Retro WW tots. Cans of tuna? Jars of pimentos? Boxes of Knox Gelatin?

To make up for the lack of sweet treats, Jean Nidetch suggests that the following Easter Sunday breakfast will "delight overweight children". You can even add a few drops of food coloring, as I did, to make it more "festive".

Eggs in Celery Nests

4 cups shredded celery, boiled
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp dehydrated onion flakes (soaked in water)
1 tsp salt
4 eggs

Combine first 4 ingredients; mix well. Shape into 4 even nests on a non-stick baking sheet.
Break one egg into each nest. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.



Who needs chocolate when you can have an egg cooked in some creepily-dyed pink celery? Seriously. Most kids I know would be thrilled to trade their candy-laden baskets for just one of these slimming treats. Kids always choose celery over candy. Right?

In the Twilight Zone, maybe.

Listen. A tiny little bit of Easter candy never hurt anyone. Furthermore, here is what can happen to you if you go without candy for too long:

My husband will never go to the mall with me again.

You end up angrily gnawing the ears off a 5-foot tall, sixty pound chocolate bunny. And that just ain't right.

Don't let this happen to you. Eat a Jelly Bean, for Pete's Sake. And have a Happy Easter.

7 comments:

Stephbospoon said...

My father has just cried laughing at your waikiki whip video, keep it up and Happy easter!

roadsidewonders said...

Too bad that we don't have photographic evidence of all of the delighted overweight children :)

Μάρσι said...

Oh my... Mimi give me this chocolate bunny to taste some... ear or something from this!!!
I am a chocoholic...

yinzerella said...

Crap. That's like a sad Beef Lindstrom. A very, very sad beef lindstrom.

I hope you treated yourself to some candy this weekend.

Joy Weese Moll said...

I just found your blog while doing some research to ground my memories better. My mother was a Weight Watcher in 1972 when I turned 10.

Fortunately, I wasn't overweight, then, so I'm sure I got some candy in my Easter basket! I'm guessing that we didn't get any black jelly beans that year because my mother was the only one in the house who would eat them.

Thanks for this -- your modern experiences are helping me remember my past ones!

Roz @ weightingfor50 said...

Always such fun posts. Belated Happy Easter Mimi!!!

Sparkina said...

First of all, young children couldn't join ww. The youngest that a ww member could be was 10. At least that's how it was when I joined in 2002. I'm assuming it was the same back in The Day. Second, the larger-figured kids probably got things like toys and stickers and crayons in their baskets. I can't imagine who would be so cruel as to put a can of tuna in a kid's Easter basket.