Wednesday, February 24, 2010

W.W.J.N.D.?



"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." -Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs, 1991)

I spent most of last evening studying The
1972 Weight Watchers Revised Program Cookbook (WWRPC) and trying very hard to understand this program. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, and yet I am still finding it extremely difficult to grasp all of the "rules". I will provide an example for you:

FISH: Must be used at least 5 times a week, counting only lunches and dinners. (Although fish is allowed at breakfast, you don't use enough to consider it a fish meal.) Just once a week, you may select from the special shellfish group and count it, if you wish, as one of your 5 fish meals.

Did the average 1972 woman really follo
w this freaking plan? And how often did she say "F this!" --and go eat an entire pizza? I will make a note to ask my mom about this. In the meantime, I have decided that I will put together an excel spreadsheet this week which may help me get organized. Will post that later if possible.

Now--it seems I have hit a tiny snag: LIVER.

The WWRPC states: "You must eat liver exactly once a week." Sorry Jean--ain't gonna happen. I don't eat red meat, and I just don't see how a weekly serving of this disgusting organ meat is going to m
ake a difference in my weight loss progress. Besides, eating liver makes me think of Hannibal Lecter.

On the bright side--I made it through an entire day without eating a SINGLE ILLEGAL FOOD! (well - I ate some air-popped popcorn, but I really think Jean would be OK with that). I am feeling so strong!

I am finding myself asking the question "What would Jean Do?" several times a day, and I feel like I have a little bit of her spirit and will-power with me on this journey.

My goals for this weekend?
  1. Hit the grocery store and stock up on some "legal" foods.
  2. Prepare some fun recipes to share with you in my next post!

The adventure continues...

2 comments:

Jana said...

Tsch. Jean is being wise. Get the liver, make the liver. Then look at the liver, almost take a bite, and decide you aren't that hungry after all. Weight loss ahoy!

Blogger said...

With bistroMD you can trust that not only will you get gourmet meals, but that every entree and each in bistroMD's weight loss programs is balanced to bistroMD's custom nutritional platform thatis promoting healthy diets.

STEP 1 - Select one of the diet plans for 5 to 7 days of entrees.
STEP 2 - Take a look at your menu in advance and choose the entrees you desire for each day and week.
STEP 3 - Order your weight loss program.
STEP 4 - Your meals are delivered to your door.

GET STARTED NOW - home delivery.