Sunday, October 9, 2011

An Apple and a Frank a Day

It was a perfect day for apple picking here in Pittsburgh: sunny, warm and clear. If you were smart, you went out and loaded up on bushels and bushels of juicy red apples at your local orchard.

And if you did that, you are now probably wondering: What the deuce am I gonna do with all of these apples?

If you are a Retro WW gal, you're probably thinking: I know! I'll chop up some wieners and stuff them in a couple of these apples. Then I'll sprinkle them with some onion flakes and curry powder and bake them in a big-ass Pyrex dish. Oh yes--that sounds downright delicious!

And that's exactly what I did today.

I couldn't resist whipping up the following recipe from my 1974 Best of Weight Watchers Magazine. It just seemed perfect for a day like this:

Apples and Franks Karachi

4 boiled frankfurters, diced
2 medium baking apples, cored
1/4 tsp dehydrated onion
1/4 tsp curry powder


Hollow out apples leaving only a thin shell. Finely chop the scooped-out apple and sprinkle with curry and onion. Stir in diced frankfurters. Spoon mixture into apple shells. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.


The fragrant curry mingling with the pungent aroma of the frankfurters will turn your kitchen into an odoriferous Hell on Earth. Crack a window. You'll be fine.


If you really want to impress your friends, tell them that you picked up this recipe while visiting Karachi. They'll think you are very exotic and worldly. They don't have to know you heard it here. It'll be our little secret.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mimi! Did I tell your that my daughter goes to Carnegie Mellon? I used to live in Pittsburgh too and worked at Shadyside Hospital.

Re WW and hotdogs: Have you been keeping stats on all the exotic names for WW hotdog recipes? It's rather fascinating.

:-) Marion

Lidian said...

My goodness, how did they come up with these things??

Brian Francis said...

I'm trying to find a redeeming quality about this dish, but it's really, really hard.

Bring Pretty Back said...

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!
This whole recipe makes no damn sense! !
Thank you so much for your comment - I am ready to get serious about this weight loss!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

But how did it taste?